Like most things, data has a shelf life and deteriorates quickly if it isn’t maintained. But what if the information is already wrong when it’s collected? Effectively dealing with the volume and depth of data available to us is one of the greatest challenges in marketing, but those who have mastered it will testify that it’s well worth the effort.
Owning a compliant and up-to-date customer database gives you the apparatus to build successful campaigns that make an impact. The problems emerge from reliance on manual intervention to keep data accurate, with marketing teams across the globe united in recognising the top 5 database polluters.
Top 5 database polluters
- Inaccurate data: Input errors causing you to lose a customer due to a simple typo or unwelcome autocorrect is a key factor in dirty data infecting your system.
- Out-of-date data: Losing track of people moving homes and changing jobs – wasting time, effort, money and ROI on cold contacts.
- Duplicate data: Multiple entries for the same person, creating disjointed customer views through unconsolidated data.
- Inconsistent data: Customers inputting spoof contact information such as ‘email@example.com’ for their email address.
- Incomplete data: Consumers that have registered with MPS and TPS, but you don’t know about it until you contact them and get an angry response.
How can we banish Dirty Data?
Prevent bad data from being input at the source. Manual maintenance is unfeasible for any marketing team to manage. EQ Cognition, our centralised API that provides multi-channel validation via global data sources, authenticates data that’s input in real-time. This speeds up and improves the accuracy of your customer data collection and payment processes.
However, if you’ve passed the point of validating your data input at source, the next stage is to decipher which existing information on your database is valid. Using EQ Cognition, you can test all existing contact information in self-service bulk uploads to evaluate your contacts before you reach out.
Dirty data is dangerous for GDPR compliance
We have seen our clients completely overhaul their customer information systems by going through this process and reap the benefits of a healthy database. Bad data is a fact of life, but you don’t have to resign yourselves to contaminated CRMs and reduced ROIs – EQ Cognition is a leading light to mastering successful and impactful client communications.