Balance safety with engagement
When organising a meeting this year, balancing safety with engagement is key. There is no one-size-fits-all; here is what you need to consider:
1. Meeting Arrangements: Information in your Notice of Meeting
☐ 󠄂Be aware of how you are required to communicate any changes to meeting arrangements with shareholders.
☐ 󠄂What powers does the Chair have to refuse entry either over capacity or Health & Safety concerns?
☐ 󠄂Will shareholders have the opportunity to ask questions before having to make an informed voting decision?
☐ 󠄂Check your articles specifically to consider if audio is required for shareholder participation.
☐ 󠄂Decide if face coverings will be required or needed at all times.
☐ 󠄂Should all board members and key personnel attend in person? Consider the risk of infection and transmission.
☐ 󠄂Limit the attendance of employees, guests and third-party contractors.
☐ 󠄂Consider COVID testing and/or temperature checks of all attendees.
☐ 󠄂How will you enforce the use of face coverings?
3. Travel and accommodation
☐ 󠄂Reduce the use of public transport and consider private hire vehicles with COVID secure procedures in place.
☐ 󠄂If required, what accommodation is available or open in the area closest to the venue, and what is their COVID policy?
☐ 󠄂Carry out a risk assessment of the venue to ensure COVID secure procedures are in place.
☐ 󠄂What are the maximum attendance numbers for each area allowing for social distancing?
☐ 󠄂What are the plans for:
- Cleaning How will chairs and shared equipment be sanitised? Is there hand washing facilities at the entrance and throughout?
- Movement Are there clear markings on the floor? Is there a one-way system for stairwells and corridors? How will the escalators and lifts be managed? How many people can use the washroom facilities at any one time?
- Queue management and security.
- Registration Are there barrier screens in place?
- Reduce touch points wherever possible: documents, refreshments, exhibitions.
- Polling – poll boxes to limit contact.
- Limitation removal of customer information or shareholder enquiry desks.